There are several types of Bitcoin wallets for storing cryptocurrency. You can choose online sites or crypto exchanges, local (desktop) programs for installation on a computer, mobile applications for a phone, hardware devices, or a paper wallet. According to the storage method, they are divided into hot and cold. Each has advantages and disadvantages.
In the article, the editorial staff of Btcnewsweb.com considered all possible ways to create a bitcoin wallet. She presented the most complete list of the best of them, provided instructions for registering on popular online services and downloaded the wallet using the official website of the Bitcoin Core developers. Made an overview of how and where to buy, how to replenish and withdraw Bitcoin cryptocurrency from the wallet.
See also: how to create a bitcoin wallet.
List of wallets for bitcoin
|Bitcoin exchanges||Binance, EXMO, Currency, CREX24, Huobi, Kucoin, CEX IO|
|Web wallets||Blockchain, Luno, Magnum, Bitgo, Uphold, Satowallet Exchange, EO Finance, Green Address, Bitforx, Coinbase, Unocoin, WageCan, Xapo, Unboxcoin, Bitinka, Bitpanda, Bitwala, CoinVault, Counterwallet, Gatehub, Holy Transaction, Kimera, Mitex, OmniWallet, Paxful, PlasmaPay, Zumminer, Trust Wallet, ChronoMint, Wirex, Coin Wallet, Morph|
|Desktop wallets (Windows, MacOS)||Exodus, Jaxx, Armory, Bitcoin Core Client, Electrum, , Guarda, Wasabi, MSigna, Copay Bitcoin, Pungo, Magnum, Bitgo Wallet, Satowallet Exchange, Atomic, Agama, BC Vault, Bither, ArcBit, Eidoo, Ledger, Trezor, Waves Wallet, Evercoin|
|Mobile applications (Android, iOS)||Coinomi, Mycelium, Samourai, Abra, Ellipal, Blockchain, AirGap, Eidoo, Lumi, Trust Wallet, ArcBit, Bither, Aximetria, BitcoinBitKeep, Bitpie, Bread, Citowise, Cobo, CoinPayments, Ethos, Kcash, CoinBank, Edge, Enjin Wallet, Fingo, imToken, Infinito, Mobi, Nexo, qPocket, Quppy, UberPay, ZebraWallet, Jaxx, ECOMI Secure Wallet, Coin Wallet, Luno, Morph, Guarda, Evercoin, CoolWallet, KeepKey, Trezor, Ginco, ANX Vault, BlueWallet, Carbon, Coffee Wallet, LykkeWallet, Zebpay, Atomic, Bitforx, Coinbase, Unocoin, WageCan, Xapo, Green Address, Freewallet, BitCron, Copay Bitcoin Wallet|
|Hardware wallets||Ledger, Trezor, KeepKey, CoolWallet, Bitlox, Chronobank, ECOMI, Keycard, Bitfi, Ellipal|
Types of Bitcoin wallets
List of bitcoin wallets:
- Online. This includes wallets on cryptocurrency exchanges: Binance, Currency.com, EXMO, FTX and others. After creating an account, they provide a crypto wallet for free, which will store the cryptocurrency. Online services: Blockchain Wallet, Matbi (wallet + exchanger), Guarda, GreenAddress, Luno, Coinfy, Copay.
- Desktop wallets: Bitcoin Core, Electrum, JAXX, Exodus, Knots, Capay, ArcBit, Armory, Lumi Wallet, Bither, Morpheuswallet and others.
- Mobile Apps: Coinomi, JAXX, Mycelium, Luno, Guarda, Airbitz Bitcoin, Infinito, GreenAddress, Bread Wallet, Kcash Wallet.
- Hardware wallets: Ledger, Trezor, Keepkey, CoolWallet, Bitlox, Digital Bitbox.
- Paper Wallets: bitaddress.org.
Each method has both advantages and disadvantages. Registering a bitcoin wallet on an exchange or online service is the easiest option. At the same time, cryptocurrency trading will be available. The user has access to the public wallet address, private keys from the crypto exchange itself. Local wallets are heavy and light, the difference is whether you need to download the blockchain for synchronization or not. Hardware devices are paid devices.
For long-term storage of Bitcoin cryptocurrency, only a private address is needed, which must be recorded and saved. When you need to use them, you just need to import the keys into the Bitcoin Core wallet, Electrum, etc.
What is Bitcoin
Bitcoin is the world’s first cryptocurrency, founded back in 2009. The emission of currency takes place on the Internet and is limited in quantity. A total of 21 million BTC will be issued.
Advantages and differences of bitcoin from the usual traditional electronic money and wallets:
- Decentralization. Bitcoins are used to pay for purchases on the Internet, currency is traded on exchanges, but the key difference is dispersal. The network remains without the control of the central authority, distributed among the participants, which automatically become part of it. Nobody has the opportunity to instill rules or restrictions on the currency. And also in case of a possible fall of a part of the network offline, the system will continue to work smoothly.
- Simplicity. It’s easier to open an account with bitcoins, you just need to create a wallet of this cryptocurrency and start using it.
- Anonymity. The use of cryptocurrency does not require the entry of personal data. Bitcoin wallet addresses are not tied to a name, address, personal information, and you can create countless numbers of them.
- Transparency. As opposed to anonymity, Bitcoin keeps track of the history of transactions and builds a sequential chain, i.e. blockchain. This chain consists of blocks containing information about transactions based on a personal bitcoin address. But in the case of a public bitcoin address, any user can have information regarding the total balance on it. If the owner of the wallet did not disseminate information about his involvement in this bitcoin address, no one will know about it. Those who want to get full anonymity create a different bitcoin address for each transaction.
- Small commission. Banks charge large amounts for a commission, while Bitcoin charges a small fee for confirming a transaction on the network.
- Fast translation. Payments in the bitcoin network are processed quickly (up to 1 hour), regardless of who and where they are sent.
- Irrevocable transactions. Once bitcoin has been sent, no refund will be given. You can return the cryptocurrency if agreed with the recipient.
Where to buy bitcoins and how to top up your wallet
In online exchangers, you can exchange almost any payment system: WebMoney, Yandex.Money, Qiwi, Sberbank, Privat 24 and transfer it to your wallet address. Reliable exchangers for buying cryptocurrency: ProstoCash, 60cek, Xchange.
On the ProstoCash website, you need to select the appropriate payment systems for the exchange. For example, for 300,000 Russian rubles from a Sberbank card, they receive 1.07 bitcoin (BTC) per wallet.
How to create a Bitcoin wallet
Bitcoin is a virtual currency. To store it, you need an appropriate wallet.
There are 5 main types of bitcoin wallets:
- Online (browser or web wallets). Use online services – sites where you can register a wallet and store bitcoins there. Online wallets include an account on a crypto exchange. Their advantage is the large number of available cryptocurrencies, and it is also a good way to buy or exchange them. In the future, a virtual coin can be withdrawn from the exchange to any other wallet.
- Desktop. You can download a special client program to your computer from the bitcoin.org website.
- Paper ones.
The recommended method is the so-called “cold storage“: using paper, hardware, local programs on a computer or other device. In this case, almost complete security of storing bitcoins is guaranteed. Local wallets can be heavy (they require the entire blockchain network to work) and lightweight. For example, the official Bitcoin Core wallet is heavy, after installing the program, the process of synchronization with the network starts and all blocks with transactions are downloaded, the volume of which is 150 GB. This will require a constant internet connection and a long time. But the owner has full control over his wallet and private addresses.
If you do not want to waste time, then you should download programs that synchronize with the Bitcoin network online. These include the popular Electrum client wallet. It is quite reliable and secure. The owner is given full access to the private keys, which can be exported and saved. Restoring access to the Bitcoin Electrum wallet is carried out using the seed-phrase, which is received during registration.
The official website bitcoin.org presents all the ways how to create a Bitcoin wallet, both for mobile devices and computers, and online.
Each of the ways to store bitcoins has its own advantages and disadvantages.
Desktop programs for storing bitcoins can be downloaded from the official website of the cryptocurrency https://bitcoin.org/ru/choose-your-wallet by selecting the “Computer” item:
When you click on each of the proposed wallets, a window appears with information about the main parameters and a download link:
The disadvantage of some programs for storing bitcoins (for example, Bitcoin Core) is the large amount of information that needs to be downloaded to the computer. In turn, this is a safe way to store bitcoins. You just need to worry about the security of your computer and prevent third parties from accessing it.
Online wallets for storing bitcoins.
Their main advantages: they do not take up space on the computer, they are quickly installed, they take on the security of data storage. The main thing is to use only reliable and proven online services. The owner will not have access to the private keys.
Online Bitcoin wallet in Russian – blockchain.info. The service is popular, it serves clients from more than 120 countries, more than 8 million wallets have been created. Registering a Bitcoin wallet on the blockchain is very simple and will take a couple of minutes.
First you need to click on the “Create your wallet” button. Then fill out the form with your email address and password. Remember the password, as there is no recovery function:
Click “Continue”. A letter will be sent to the specified mail, in which you need to confirm the email. It will also contain the wallet ID, which must be recorded and not reported to anyone. It is better to delete the letter later. Then click on the “Yes, this is my email” button in the letter:
After that, log into the site using your password and wallet ID:
After entering the wallet, you will see the current balance, the “Send” or “Receive” items, the ability to set up the security of your personal account, and configure the wallet.
To send bitcoins, you need to enter the recipient’s Bitcoin address and indicate the amount (if necessary):
Transaction processing takes place within a few minutes. All operations will be displayed in the “Transactions” item.
To receive bitcoins to your personal wallet, you need an address. You need to go to the “Get” item and copy the given code or generate another one for any amount. Then inform the sender of this address. He can send bitcoins to it.
To protect the wallet, you should perform a security setting, which includes several levels. At the first, they will offer to verify the email account, come up with a backup phrase (if suddenly the password flies out of memory) and create a password hint that will lead to the correct option.
At the second level, you need to bind the mobile phone number to the wallet and activate step verification:
The implementation of the above recommendations should ensure the security of the wallet at a high level.
How to top up a Bitcoin wallet
Replenishment of the wallet is carried out through exchangers, exchanges or directly through payment systems.
- Through exchangers. For example, exchangers ProstoCash, Xchange, 60cek. You need to choose the currency that you give and receive (bitcoin). Click Find Best Course. A list of exchangers performing transfers in this direction will appear. Sorting is available.
- Through cryptocurrency exchanges.
- Through payment systems. Nowadays, many electronic payment systems directly transfer to bitcoins.
- Through P2P exchangers.
For example, we will transfer money from the AdvCash wallet.
We go into the already created bitcoin wallet in the blockchain service: https://blockchain.com/ and, going to the “Top up” section, copy the address of our bitcoin wallet:
Next, go to the AdvCash website, indicate the address and transfer to the Bitcoin wallet:
The money sent will instantly appear in the wallet on the blockchain.info service:
What can be paid with a bitcoin wallet
Bitcoins are becoming a very popular method of paying for goods and services due to all the benefits. Many shops, Forex brokers, investment companies use bitcoin as a way to fund an account and pay.
Leave your feedback on bitcoin wallets, programs and services for their creation in the comments to the article.